Chief Lateef Olasunkanmi Fagbemi SAN (born 16 July 1959), is a Nigerian lawyer and politician who is the current Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation since 21 August 2023. Here is the list of the Attorney Generals In Nigeria.
List of Attorney General In Nigeria
|1||The Federation||Mohammed Bello Adoke|
|4||Akwa Ibom||Assam Assam|
|9||Borno||Zannah Mallam Gana (Shot dead)|
|10||Cross River||Attah Ochinke|
|11||Delta state||Justice Victor Otomiewo|
|12||Ebonyi State||Ben Igwenyi|
|13||Edo State||Osagie Obayuwana|
|14||Ekiti State||Dayo Akinlaja|
|15||Enugu State||Nduka Ikeyi|
|16||Gombe State||Zubairu M. Umar|
|17||Imo state||Ken Njemanze|
|18||Jigawa state||Yakubu Abdullahi Hussaini|
|19||Kaduna State||Jonathan k. Adamu|
|20||Kano state||Alhaji Aliyu Umar|
|21||Katsina State||Bashir Yusuf (Dropped)|
|22||Kebbi state||Abubakar Boyi Dikko|
|23||Kogi State||Richard Olanitan Elesho|
|24||Kwara State||Kamaldeen Ajibade|
|25||Lagos state||Ade Ipaye Adeola|
|26||Nasarawa state||Mohammed Abdullahi|
|27||Niger State||Adamu Usman|
|28||Ogun State||Oluwemimo Ogunde|
|29||Ondo State||Eyitayo Jegede, SAN|
|30||Osun State||Wale Afolabi|
|31||Oyo State||Ojo Adebayo|
|32||Plateau State||Edward Pwajok|
|33||Rivers State||Worgu Boms|
|34||Sokoto State||Inuwa Abdulkadir|
|35||Taraba State||Ibrahim El Sudi|
|36||Yobe||Ahmed Mustapha Goniri|
|37||Zamfara State||Muhammad Garba|
What is the role of the attorney general in Nigeria?
The Attorney General is the representative of the public in all legal proceedings for the enforcement of law and the assertion or protection of public rights. The Attorney General defends the constitutionality of Bills referred to the Supreme Court under Article 26 of the Constitution.
The Role and Functions of the Attorney-General
The Attorney-General is in-charge of the Ministry of Justice and has responsibility for the various departments and agencies of the Ministry which include the Directorates of Civil Litigation, Advisory Services, Legislative Drafting, Public Prosecutions, Administrator-General & Public Trustees, Commercial Law, Citizens’ Rights, Office of the Public Defender (OPD), Citizens Mediation Centre (CMC), Public Advice Centre (PAC), etc. In carrying out his function and responsibilities, the Attorney-General acts through the Law officers in each department or agency in the Ministry.
The Attorney-General is the Chief Public Prosecutor in Nigeria for all criminal matters. In the exercise of his powers to institute, undertake or discontinue criminal proceedings as conferred on him by the Constitution, the Attorney-General shall not be subject to the direction or control of any person or authority.
The Attorney-General as the Chief Law Officer of the nation exercises his power and performs his functions either personally or through any Law officer in the department or agency of the Ministry. His functions include:
- Giving legal advice to government, Ministries, Statutory bodies and Departments of Government;
- Arranging for legal officers or lawyers to prosecute criminal matters; arranging for lawyers to institute or defend civil actions on behalf of the country, its parastatals and agencies;
- Keeping under review all the laws applicable to Nigeria with a view to their systematic development and reform;
- Preparing executive bills in accordance with directives from the Cabinet for Laws to be enacted by the National House of Assembly;
- Preparing subsidiary legislation for government Ministries and other Bodies;
- Attending the National Executive Council meeting where policies are formulated for the nationa; and
- Performing any other duty that may be assigned to him by the president.