Learning the English language can pose to be difficult sometimes, it really is fun. In order to help you become fluent in English, we’ll be discussing 10 tips that can guide you.
Tip 1: Use Synonym Swaps
A synonym is a word that has the same (or nearly the same) meaning as another word. For example, ‘funny’ is a synonym of ‘hilarious’. This tip is simply about using synonyms to expand your vocabulary and sound much more fluent.
Using the same word over and over can be boring and too simple. For example, instead of using “beautiful” many times, you can replace it with other adjectives like pretty, lovely, admirable, etc.
This tip can help you in many ways like getting you to think about and learn new words. If you’re conscious enough you will realise the words you use too frequently and need to change.
To implement this tip,
• think of a word you use too often and the situations in which you use it.
• write down a few sentences that you might say using the word you remembered.
• find a suitable synonym and rewrite the sentences with the new word.
• review these sentences every day for a few minutes, reading them aloud.
• ensure that you memorise the synonym so you can use it on conversations.
Tip 2: Always Listen
This tip cannot be overemphasized. Watch English movies, listen to English songs. By all means listen to someone speaking English. This will help you know the pronunciation of words and how they are used in sentences.
Listening is important when it comes to learning a language. Search for songs and movies that can help you learn better and faster.
Tip 3: Read for Pleasure
Reading for pleasure simply means reading an interesting text without feeling stressed about the grammar, vocabulary, etc.
It’s good to always desire to learn, but sometimes having fun is a great way to learn new things.
If you think reading a newspaper or magazine will be hard because of new and big words, then try reading books and blog post about learning English.
ALSO READ: 5 types of noises women make during sex
Tip 4: Watch Movies
This is in line with Tip 2. Watching movies has a way of helping you learn faster and more effectively because you get to see how people speak English and how their sentences are structured.
I recommend that you watch American and British movies if you truly want to learn English.
Tip 5: Be Consistent
Getting consistent exposure to English really helps you becomes fluent in English. But it takes effort to be consistent.
Exposure to English comprises of the tips mentioned above, not just studying grammar books or memorizing vocabulary lists. Give quality time to learning.
Tip 6: Stay Motivated
On some days you will disencouraged and unmotivated. Find a way to stay motivated. Knowing why you started learning English in the first place and what the result could do for you will serve as a motivation.
The points below will help you draft a text that will keep you motivated.
• Write the title as ‘What Benefits will I Receive When I Become Fluent in English?’
• Now write or type all these benefits. Is it for a job or education? Just write the benefits. This should make you feel excited already.
• Read these benefits every morning so that you have a real hunger to learn English.
Tip 7: Learn Idioms
This is an area that is very often left out by English learners, but it is of utmost importance. Interesting thing is native English speakers often use idioms but don’t even realiSE it. Idioms are often fun to learn and interesting to use.
Here are some common examples of idioms that are used in everyday English:
- Piece of cake: it means something was easy.
Example: that science exam was a piece of cake.
- Bite more than one can chew: to take on more work than one can handle.
Example: John is really stressed. He bit off more than he could chew.
There are thousands of idioms in the English language, but learning them all is not necessary. Learning the common ones is a great start.
Tip 8: Take Advantage of Free Resources
Today, there are so many free resources for learning any language, including English. You can find thousands of articles, worksheets, videos, translation tools, etc, that can help you improve on the internet.
Take advantage of the fact that you do not have to leave your house to get premium knowledge of English.
Tip 9: Learn the Grammar Rule then Listen to it
The key to learning grammar is not sitting for hours, reading tips and writing them again and again, trying to remember it. This technique might work, but many people find it boring and ineffective.
Here is what you should do to learn grammar and make it stick:
• Read the grammar tip briefly, getting a rough idea of how it works. Don’t try to understand the rule 100% at first.
• Make a recording of some sentences which contain the tip. (You can easily find example sentences in grammar books or on the internet.)
• Next, listen to the example sentence recordings as many times as possible. The aim is to isolate the grammar structure for intense study.
• Go back to the tips from time to time and read it again to understand more deeply. Once it has become clearer, return to the listening.
• You can then move onto the next grammar rule and repeat the technique.
Tip 10: Increase Your Word Power
This is one of the most important tips of all: how to expand your vocabulary by learning new words. We already looked at how to expand your vocabulary using synonyms, but what about learning their meanings?
We can use the techniques below to speed up the process.
• Choose 5 new words that you would like to learn (you can try more words but 5 is a good place to start).
• Write down a simple definition of each word. (Shorter definitions are easier to remember. And you can use a learner’s dictionary to find short definitions.)
• Write 5 sentences using the new words. Don’t just make anything up, make it a true sentence (wherever possible). This makes it more relevant to you and easier to remember.
• Each day for 10 minutes, review the new words, the definitions and your sentences. And (this is very important) read each word, definition and sentence aloud. This will train your voice and brain to become familiar with the word, and allow you to start using it in real conversations.
If you start using just a few of these tips you will notice a tremendous improvement. However, use all 10 and the effect will be incredible!